1 (edited by cmersereau 2021-10-08 20:03:25)

Topic: iOS Crash after opening OnlineMaps

My team has isolated that the OnlineMaps script is somehow causing our app to crash when closing the app after opening a map.

Steps:
1. Launch an app on iOS
2. Activate a game object with the OnlineMaps script. This can be closed or left open.
3. Close the app (for us, this means backgrounding and closing the app)
4. A native iOS popup displays saying that the app has crashed.

The stakes for this might seem low as the crash is happening as the user is closing the app anyway, but obviously this would be a terrible user experience.

We were able to isolate the OnlineMaps script as the culprit through a painstaking process of disabling/removing all of the components on our map prefab and rebuilding the app. The only component change that resulted in different behavior was removing the OnlineMaps script from the prefab.

In our implementation, we are using the GameObject.SetActive() method to display our map prefab and hide it. We are not destroying/recreating the object when we hide/display it again. It seems that there is something that is set or turned on in the OnlineMaps script that does not get destroyed or reset properly on application quit on iOS.

This is as much information as we know to include with this for now. Any information or things we can test would be appreciated.

version: 3.7.11.1
unity: 2020.3.9fd1

Re: iOS Crash after opening OnlineMaps

Hello.

Thanks for the bug report, I will definitely check it out.
Many people use Online Maps on iOS, and this is the first report of such an issue.

Online Maps has many features and it is possible that the problem occurs in some combination of settings, so I have a few additional questions to increase the chances of finding the problem:
Do you have any messages about map scripts in Xcode Console?
If possible please attach crash report and screenshots of all map components.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

There are no messages in the logs for anything related to maps. That's part of why it was so hard to isolate on the crash. It was really only due to the diligence of our QA tester that we were able to discover that the maps logic was causing the crash and, as I said previously, a tedious process of testing combinations of disabled/removed components.

The iOS logs at the time of crash have not proven useful to us. They are not descriptive nor do they point to anything we can trace in our game. All we get is:

-[_MTLCommandEncoder dealloc], line 131: error 'Command encoder released without endEncoding'

We've performed a search of this error and the results are very general and thus far have not helped us understand what is happening.

4 (edited by cmersereau 2021-10-11 19:20:01)

Sorry, I realized I forgot to post an image of our settings. All of the OnlineMaps components we have are on the same game object and can be seen on the included image.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon online_maps_settings_LI.jpg 845.62 kb, 72 downloads since 2021-10-11 

Maybe this is your bug?
https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues … pplication

Try updating Unity Editor to 2020.3.18f1 or newer.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

There might be a connection there. I hadn't seen that they listed a fix for version 2020.3 in the resolution for that. It would be nice to understand what is causing the issue though, as nothing else we use in our app gives us this problem.

See the resolution note after the problem description.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.