Topic: How do I create a 3D Earth like Google Earth?

How do I create a 3D Earth like Google Earth?

Post's attachments

Attachment icon timg.jpg 313.48 kb, 84 downloads since 2019-02-19 

Re: How do I create a 3D Earth like Google Earth?

Hello.

Online Maps is a rectangular map like Google Maps, and does not have such feature.
Theoretically, you can create a new Control to display a map on a sphere.
I think it is not very difficult.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Alex Vertax wrote:

Hello.

Online Maps is a rectangular map like Google Maps, and does not have such feature..

Even Google map is spherical today !
https://zooomez.fr/ph/images/GoogleMaps.png

I would be very interested in having this feature, at least at low zoom levels. Unity is a 3D engine, so displaying a flat earth is a little bit disappointing...

Alex Vertax wrote:

Theoretically, you can create a new Control to display a map on a sphere.
I think it is not very difficult.

"Not very difficult ?" But could you please give a little bit more explanations ?

Best regards, Phil

Many users are asking for this feature and this is the first feature in the queue for implementation.
But please don't take this as a promise.
I may have some implementation difficulties or not be satisfied with the result, this feature may be canceled.

"Not very difficult" is not equal to "easy" and depends on the programming skill of the person.
This cannot be implemented in Playmaker.
I can explain it in detail, but are you sure you need this explanation?!
Please do not take this question as something negative.
It just cannot be explained in a nutshell.
It takes a quite big post, and I'm not sure anyone would even try to do this.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

5 (edited by philzmz 2021-04-30 17:24:21)

Alex Vertax wrote:

Many users are asking for this feature and this is the first feature in the queue for implementation.

Thanks for your detailed answer, let's hope you can achieve this, it will be a major upgrade of this fantastic asset !

My concern is that I would like to have a 3D globe to show some Hotspots, and then when clicking on a HS I switch to a flat (actual) map : I don't need to have a smooth transition between the sphere and the plane as you have in Google Earth or maps. I don't need all OLMaps features on the spherical map either, and I think this might be the same for a lot of users. So maybe an "lightened" version of OLMaps, used only for the "earth scale" could be far enough for the moment, with only the management of the tiles and the markers.

Maybe this could be less complicated to implement ?

I think I will do this with another "globe" asset for the moment, as several have this feature. But these assets are a lot less powerfull than OLMaps and the management of the 2 assets will make the project a bit more complex.

Edit : Do you think that this asset (curved world) could make the job ?
https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/v … 020-173251

Best regards, Phil