Topic: Heightmap Building Noise

Hi all,
All elevation data is inevitably contaminated with noise from buildings and trees, especially in urban areas, making otherwise flat terrain quite hilly and unrealistic.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for mitigating this in RWT? Manually painting the noise out of the terrains is currently the only option I can see, and will take many hours to do.
Thanks!

Re: Heightmap Building Noise

Hello.

I've generated a huge number of locations with different settings, and to be honest, I've never seen a noise from buildings or trees.
But, if you write about it, most likely it is present in your location.
Unfortunately, there is no automatic way to fix this, because RWT does not know this real value or noise.
As a workaround, you can try the following:
Export the heightmaps as RAW, open it in a graphics editor (like photoshop), smooth the required areas, and import it again.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

3 (edited by consciousless 2021-01-17 21:06:20)

Thanks for the reply smile
I wish! Data for Canada seems to come from surface models not terrain models. I have attached an image of downtown so you can see it.
Your suggestion to export the heightmaps had not struck me yet and is amazing. If this is the case then I can instead use some high resolution maps from the government (link) I wasn't sure what to do with.
Thank you!!

Post's attachments

Attachment icon toronto_mapbox_heightmap.png 756.59 kb, 69 downloads since 2021-01-17 

First of all, try using a different elevation data source.
Maybe it doesn't contain such a problem.

Unfortunately, I didn't understand what you want to do with the data from the government.
If you want to try to combine them in a graphical editor, then I think it will be quite difficult.
If you want to pass them to RWT, then you can do it this way (if you have programming experience of course):
https://forum.infinity-code.com/viewtopic.php?id=1538

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

You assume correctly that it is a data source. I will try the script. Thanks!