Topic: Set terrain size by tiles instead of coordinates ?

Hi !

Actually - tell me if I am wrong - the only way to set a terrain size is to enter its decimal coordinates in the Helper (or in the RWT window of course).

Could it be possible to add an option, in the Helper, to automatically "snap" the area to match the size of the tiles WHILE dragging the limits of the terrain (snap to grid at the highest tiles resolution) and, if possible, to display, in real time, the number of indivisible (smallest) tiles. You could add a checkbox "snap to match tiles".

For instance
Width : 0.2km - 10 tiles
Heigth : 0.6km - 30 tiles

To me, the easiest way to capture a terrain would be to have to enter only 3 values :

- The center of the terrain coordinates (lat/lng) instead of top left / Bottom right
-  Width and height, in indivisible tiles or km, these values being adjusted by the software.

I hope I am clear, if not don't hesitate to ask !

Best regards.

Re: Set terrain size by tiles instead of coordinates ?

Hello.

What usage do you see for such feature?
I see no way how this can be used.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Hi sorry for my late answer
I am building VR tours on a map, where users can click some objects. I think using tiles instead of lat / lng is interesting if you have to add another terrain beside an existing : they will perfectly match, while terrains set by coordinates are not so accurate. This is how terrain composer - an asset I used before RWT - works, very convenient. But if this is too complicated, don't worry Alex !

4 (edited by paulio 2020-02-21 15:15:08)

I think I'm in desperate need of something like this too. I calculate the long/lat and/or use the helper to get a perfect square - useful because I need that for the height intercept and because 3rd party tools want a perfectly square terrain. But the results are always just slightly off. E.g.
The "perfect" 5km square
<Coords tlx="-0.8541605782" tly="51.2885251615" brx="-0.7822894073843845" bry="51.24355056260518"/>
Results in a 5000x5001 terrain. I'd like to be able to specify it by Northing/Eastings as they're more precise.
(480000,155000), (485000, 150000).

PS Setting the "fixed size" option helps with problem, for 3rd party but not much for the intercept.

Ability to specify coordinates in UTM is very useful, and I will add this.

I will consider implementing this in RWT v4.x, but I do not promise that this will be implemented in the current cycle.
RWT v4.5 will be the latest version in 4.x, and all key features (generation of textures larger than 8192x8192 per terrain and integration with Huge Texture asset) are already finished.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.