Topic: Cannot get my camera to view the terrain

Hello,

I am a first timer and with little experience with unity and real world terrain. My main goal is to create a flyover of my country and render a camera flight path. Ideally this would be a 360 video able to be rendered as an mp4 video to be viewed on mobiles with google cardboard.

So, I started with the first steps, going through your tutorials.
I have successfully recreated Mt Fuji scene as shown on your youtube video. A small terrain to start with, scaled 10,10,10 with same details settings as shown on your video.

My problem is that although the terrain appears fine on the screen, if i try to zoom in and it disappears slowly. Also I cannot view the terrain with the scene camera. Why is this?

RWT terrain seems like a great product, I can't wait to explore it in a succesful way.
Please help me to get started.

Thank you!

Re: Cannot get my camera to view the terrain

Hello.

You move very slowly because terrain is very large.
How to move fast:
Select terrain GameObject, and press F in Scene View.
Scene View will focus on terrain.
Then use ALT + RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON to quickly zoom in and out.

You do not see Terrain from the camera for two reasons:
1. By default, your camera is under terrain.
How to setup the camera:
- Set the desired view in Scene View.
- Select Main Camera.
- press CTRL + SHIFT + F or select GameObject / Align With View.

2. Your terrain is too large, and too far from the camera.
How to fix it:
Main Camera / Camera / Clipping Planes / Far - 50000 (some big value).

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Great advice!
I managed to get the terrain to appear. I also needed to set the culling mask in camera settings to "Everything" to be able to view it.

I still find it very hard to move the camera around the terrain. Seems like the camera needs to be scaled in the same sizes as the terrain to be able to move it around and create a camera path(?) or maybe there is another solution to this?

Screenshot attached.

Appreciated, thanks!

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Screen Shot 2020-02-17 at 21.24.01.png 1.05 mb, 89 downloads since 2020-02-17 

You cannot scale the camera.
It does not work this way.
Instead, you need to scale down the terrain.
Try using RWT / Terrains / Scale - 0.1 (all axes).

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Many thanks for the help Alex. I'm starting to understand the limitation in memory/size of textures etc.
May I also ask if the water in the textures can be transparent so that I can use a plane with custom texture?
Looks like the elevation is not accurate in my area...

By default, water cannot be transparent.
You can create a custom shader + water mask to achieve this effect, but it requires some knowledge of how shaders work.

Different elevation data sources have different accuracy for different areas.
Try using a different elevation provider.
Also, with good initial data, you can break the accuracy of the result using wrong RWT settings.
This problem usually occurs with Elevation Range - Real World Value.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.