Topic: Terrain stitch problem

Hi there. I've recently bought RWT and started importing terrains. I basically need a big area in Austria & Germany that will also extend overtime.

Because I cannot import that much at a time, I started importing chunks (selected on the grid in the helper tab), resulting in 13.15596x13.15579km, so I decided to divide into 13x13 terrains tiles when importing.

I've got 6 chunks of this kind and I don't know how to match them together, because of multiple reasons:
1. They don't match in height, even if I import a terrain right from where the other one ended (on the grid)
2. If I set them 13.15596km from each other, they still don't match up (usually overlap)
3. If I try the terrain smooth tool, they smooth together but still have a height difference, even if they match in shape
4. The textures don't match perfectly either, even if, again, I selected them perfectly on the grid of the helper (even with "show best rect" checked)

I should mention that I've tried Terrain Stitcher asset from NatureManufacture and still cannot perform this.

So, is there any way to match these chunks of terrains automatically in an effective way? Did I miss something?

Re: Terrain stitch problem

Hello.

As I understand the description of what you are doing, you generate one terrain at a time, right?
You need to generate the entire grid with minimal settings at a time.
Then regenerate the required terrains with high settings.
Here's a short video about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlHfshkVnE

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Tried it, but it gives me an error related to memory.
I cannot use the solution in your video because:
1. The terrain tiles will be too big and if I try to divide them multiple times at import, it will throw the error (tried it)
2. I need many tiles, so I can have 1k texture per 1km tile around the player and lower in the background (like 256)
3. I cannot properly sculpt into a let's say 10km tile, because I assume the height map resolution has to be insane.
4. I haven't tested it yet, but I guess it would be easier for World Streamer 2 to process 1km 1k textures at a certain point.

Most likely, you simply do not have enough memory to do this.
It seems to me that for your task it is better to use runtime solutions, such as Online Maps.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

The memory isn't the only problem I wrote in there. And I don't think it is a problem at all with the memory, it's just an optimization issue. If I exceeded 1gb of it, it would throw this error.

But this wouldn't be a problem because I can import 169 terrain tiles (of 1km each) at a time. I just want to stitch the 169 terrains, with other chunks of 169 terrains where they meet. That's it.

And online maps are not suitable for this. I need to build, sculpt, retexture some ares. So runtime solutions aren't an option.

I see.

1. Terrains have different sizes due to the projection of the sphere onto the plane.
To get around this use Terrains / Size Type - Mercator sizes.
This should also solve the texture problem.
2. You see seams and height differences because your terrains are not neighbors.
RWT can only set neighbors for terrains generated in one start.
Use Terrain.SetNeighbors to set neighbors.
https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReferenc … hbors.html
The smooth tool itself does not work as expected for the same reason.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Thanks a lot. On the first point, that must be it, I'll try to solve it.
On the second one, it wasn't neighbouring problem, I could use brush and it worked perfectly. Maybe it was also the problem above that caused it. I'll try in a bit and get back.

Thanks again.

So as a follow-up, I've just solved my problem. Mercator sizes didn't work in this case, but fixed sizes did. It also automatically adjusted in the y axes, and now they fit. I don't know if there was some functionality on that, but I am glad it did.

For those interested, I did it with fixed sizes by doing some math. So, as I said, I selected on the helper grid squares of 13.15596x13.15579km divided in the following way: 13x13 tiles. If you use 13x13 tiles, to get close to the value on the grid, 1012x1012m should be very close (13.156x13.156km).

Now to fit multiple 13x13 chunks of terrains together, just move on the x axis by 13156, and they perfectly fit. (If there are still some height variation reconnect terrains and use smooth height tool, or even better Terrain Stitcher asset by NatureManufacture).

Thanks again for the support Alex. big_smile