Topic: Help Getting Started

I have imported the Real World Terrain into Unity.
Just need helping getting started. 
Following the 'Using' section from the manual.
clicking Start creates a new asset in the Hierarchy called RealWorld Terrain, but unable to view any terrain in Game mode after pressing play.
Getting a grey checkboxes on the Scene view
unfortunately this manual stops there...  any help appreciated??

Re: Help Getting Started

Hello.

Unfortunately, I did not understand your description of the problem.

If you don't have textures, enable Textures in the Real World Terrain (RWT) window.
If you don't see terrains in the scene view then increase Main Camera / Camera / Clipping Planes / Far.
If you see gray terrains in the scene view, it might be fog. Window / Rendering / Lighting / Environment / Fog - OFF.

If the problem is something else, please explain it in more detail.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Thanks Alex.  I figured it out - the camera was zoomed right in.  Just had to zoom out a few kms.

Another question please.

How do I improve the quality to zoomed in images?
For example these screenshots are of a point in your sample San Francisco Terrain - 37.715881, -122.424335

My use is to be able to create a Unity game from ground level in parklands.  With as little touch up on the original Maps image as possible.

1) Google Maps for Unity SDK provides a detailed image but cannot zoom into ground level.
2) Google Earth also has a detailed image where you can manually zoom in using the program but no API/SKD for Unity
3) Infinity-Code Real World Terrain - can zoom in but low quality of image

images

image Google Earth

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Google Earth.png 1.28 mb, 84 downloads since 2020-10-26 

image google Maps

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Google Maps.png 1.43 mb, 75 downloads since 2020-10-26 

Unity real world terrain

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Unity Real World Terrain.png 1.73 mb, 73 downloads since 2020-10-26 

RWT generates a fixed terrain and texture state.
Google Earth and Google Maps are dynamic solutions, and it is not correct to compare them with RWT.
RWT and Google Earth / Maps simply work in different ways, which have their own advantages and disadvantages.
It is more logical to compare Google Earth / Maps with Online Maps (our other asset), but not with RWT.

An important note before I explain how to improve texture quality:
For the USA, no any other source has the same quality of souce data as Google.
When all other sources have tiles of maximum 20 zoom levels, Google Maps has up to 23 zoom levels.
The difference is 3 zoom level, means the difference in quality is 8 times.

You have several ways to increase texture quality:
1. Increase the size of the generated texture and / or the number of terrains.
2. Use a custom shader (such as Relief Terrain Pack). This will give you awesome close-range detail, even when the source data doesn't have it.
3. Generate Terrain Layers instead of texture using RWT, third party assets or manually. This can give you a visual quality that easily beat Google Earth / Maps.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Hello,
Thanks for the information!  With the Online Maps asset for Unity - I have looked through the Alas of Examples and wondering if you have one that shows my query.  e.g. I am after a terrain where I can create a Unity game from ground level in parklands.  Does Online Maps allow me to zoom into ground level similar to the Google Earth and Google Maps screenshots?  many of the examples appear to be high level broad map directions and not a street view walking to the corner shops.

A screenshot of what you can get using Online Maps is attached.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon img1.png 985.75 kb, 67 downloads since 2020-11-01 

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Hello, thanks for the reply!

Do you have a comparable screenshot of your sample San Francisco Terrain - 37.715881, -122.424335

Screenshots are attached.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon img1.png 1.67 mb, 69 downloads since 2020-11-03 

Attachment icon img2.png 2.07 mb, 74 downloads since 2020-11-03 

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.