1 (edited by accounts 2020-01-17 00:34:34)

Topic: Pre-Purchase Questions

Hi, a few questions before purchasing:

I'm working on a location-based mobile game with a core mechanic being a hexagonal grid overlaying the map, as such I need to ensure the grid is always in static alignment with the map itself, with each grid cell width/height being equal to 10m in real space, originating from (0, 0) lat/long. This grid may contain objects, and may have some misc data visualizations (ie. a heatmap).

* Does this package have a constant unit of some sort (ie. 1 unit == 1 meter)? I believe this may help me in both alignment and sizing, though this is pretty far outside my wheelhouse.
* Do you see any special difficulties with overlaying a grid over the map (I already have the actual grid management bits sorted, but consistent alignment/placement in the map view so the grid acts like part of the map itself is where I'm lost...)
* Do you have any examples or information that might help me achieve this with your package if I where to purchase it?

Thanks.

Example of what that visualization might look like:
https://i.imgur.com/gngCmzH.png

Re: Pre-Purchase Questions

Hello.

1. Yes, you can have a map size 1 unit = 1 meter.
Example:
http://infinity-code.com/atlas/online-m … ample.html

2. Yes, I see a potential problem:
At low zoom you will have too many cells (millions and billions).
You will need to limit the zoom range of the map.

3. You can see all the examples in the atlas of examples:
http://infinity-code.com/atlas/online-maps/index.html#
If you mean something more specific, then no, we do not have examples for your case.
You are the first who contacted us who is trying to make a grid based game.
If you have any specific questions, I will try to help you.
I think it will be an interesting experience for me.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

3 (edited by accounts 2020-01-17 21:29:52)

Re: Pre-Purchase Questions

Thanks for the reply!

2. I have considered this, and will be cutting off the grid at a certain zoom level and/or selectively rendering only parts of it (ie. immediately around the player, such as their action range). For a hexagon outline, the vertices add up very quickly... Without optimizing the grid generation, a 128x128 grid is already 129,608 vertices (12 vertices per hexagon border)...

This does mean that I don't plan on this grid being a permanent part of a displayed map, it's really just a logical grid, and the display portion is simple that, display-only. Taps will be interpreted by their lat/long, and translated into the appropriate hex-coordinate, even if no grid is present on screen.

3. If I cannot sort out how to cleanly render the grid with the map, I will definitely ask for your assistance then! It's going to be a while before then anyways, day job and all.

Again, thanks for the reply. Just knowing that I can use some reference unit to control a 1-to-1 in-game unit size to real-world size makes this much easier to plan out and implement.