Topic: Using Mapbox as a mobile sdk

Hello and congrats on the great plugin!

My team is currently developing a game with map functionality using your plugin and Mapbox as a provider.
Since we do not want to use mapbox Unity 3D plugin but retain Mapbox princing plan used on mobile native platform (number of active monthly users) how can we achieve such feat? Does Online Maps support this approach? Currently performing requests through Online Maps only generates Wep App requests.

Thanks in advance for your time

Ed

Re: Using Mapbox as a mobile sdk

Hello.

The last time I tested Mapbox SDK for Unity, it used the same requests as Online Maps.
Tomorrow I will check it again.
Perhaps this has changed.

If so, we will add ability to make requests like Mapbox SDK.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Alex thank you for the quick reply. We are in a critical stage at the moment and wondering about the best
course of action to tackle the issue (map provider). We would really appreciate if you could point us in the right
direction even if it meant the use of a tip or trick instead of waiting for an asset update.

Thank you once again

Ed

You can see for yourself what requests Mapbox SDK makes.
Next, depending on the type of request, you have two ways:
1. Create your own provider. Example:
http://infinity-code.com/atlas/online-m … ample.html
2. Intercept the request to download the tile, and modify the request or create your own request (for example, if it uses POST data). Example:
http://infinity-code.com/atlas/online-m … ample.html

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Hi Alex,

My name is Tiago Pascoal and I work with Ed.
I think the problem of counting the requests as Map views is related to the fact that the requests of the Mapbox tiles are made using

https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/{userid}/{mapid}/tiles/256/{z}/{x}/{y}?access_token={accesstoken}

and on the Mapbox SDK for Unity are done in a different way.

You said "Perhaps this has changed. If so, we will add ability to make requests like Mapbox SDK.", are you going to add this any time soon?

Thanks for your help

Hello.

I already did it.
To say whether this is successful or not, I have to see it in Account Dashboard.
Now I am waiting for the statistics to change.
It changes with a delay.
How big the delay is, I don't know.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Thanks, we will be waiting for your reply.
This is a very important issue to us because the pricing model for mapbox is very different for using MapViews or Monthly Active Users (MAU).

Regards

Test results:
For me, using Mapbox SDK for Unity is counted as Map Views.
I connected directly from the editor, and using VPN.
So theoretically, this should appear as a few MAUs.
But it did not work in the official Mapbox SDK.

I found several differences in URLs:
1. Mapbox SDK uses "&events=true".
2. In requests for Mapbox SDK, port 443 is directly specified.
3. In requests specified "@2x" to download 512x512 tiles.

Hope this helps you.
On my side, I stop testing, because if in the official SDK this is not counted as MAU, there is no reasons to continue.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

9 (edited by tiago.pascoal 2018-10-23 13:33:03)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

That is really not good news for us. sad
But one thing that is strange is that we tested the MapboxSDK for Unity and it counted as MAU, so I am a little bit confused with this behaviour on your side.

Like you said "So theoretically, this should appear as a few MAUs. But it did not work in the official Mapbox SDK." maybe this is something on the MapBox side, do you have any contact with them?

Or shoud we just post something on their foruns to see if anyone has a solution for this?

Sorry for the trouble but this is really a important issue to us

Regards

If this used to work for you as MAU, try to make changes 1 and 2, which I described in a previous post and check whether it works for you or not.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.