Topic: Level of detail

Hello!

So I have now purchased RWT!

I am toying around with the settings, but I figured that I can ask aswell, as you know more than me.

What I need is as detailed as possible, the elevation from a certain city in Norway. I want it to be as detailed as possible, because when I tried it now the first time, several roads are in a slope that shouldnt be etc.

The texture isnt as important as I will mostlikley replace that later.

Regards,
Svein

Re: Level of detail

Hello.

You asked it in too general a form.
Please, ask your questions more specifically, and I will be glad to help you.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Currently, the detail in the height of the terrain is very low, and the slopes should be more steep.
Is there a way to tweak the settings to make sure the slopes in the terrain be more correct.

Increase heightmap resolution and / or count terrains.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Thank you. I am trying now, but it is very slow. Is there a way to increase the speed? I see unity uses 10% of my cpu, and just 1 gb of ram, even though I have 32.

So, after trying this, it doesn't increase the accuracy of the height data.
I'm assuming there is no way to get more accurate data, simillar to what is shown in google's 3d mode?

The generation speed depends on the settings used, and many steps can only be executed in the main thread.
If you attach a screenshot of your settings, I'll see what can be done to speed up the generation.

As far as I know, Google has an elevation accuracy up to 30 meters.
SRTM30 has the same accuracy.

In Google Maps it looks like it has a higher elevation data resolution, but it's not.
It's just a combination of elevation data + other technology (as google maps show buildings).
Unfortunately, on the Internet there is no information how this works, so we can not do the same (although we very very much want this).

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Hello!

I have a new problem, but I figured i'd just write it here instead of in a new thread

And the problem is that I need more precision when painting with the textures. The brush size is to big.
Is there a way to get the brush size down to a (much)smaller size?

You mean SplatPrototypes, right?!
Increase Control Texture resolution.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

I am not sure what SPlatPrototypes are, but I have tried with Control Texture Resolution on max.

I am talking about the brush size of the brush that is used to paint texture. When this is at one, it is to big

Please send a screenshot of what you are asking.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

12 (edited by Svein 2018-02-09 15:33:47)

This is not the exact project, as I do not have access to my work computer now.
But this illustrates the problem. I need either, the blue field, the are the texture is drawn in, to be smaller, or the texture to be bigger. This is the size of the texture brush at 1.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon 27906618_10154962802525881_1734852347_o.png 679.11 kb, 127 downloads since 2018-02-09 

These terrain textures are called SplatPrototypes.
To reduce the size of the brush, increase Control Texture resolution.
If you are already using the maximum resolution:
1. Increase Count Terrains.
2. Reduce all settings except Control Texture resolution.
For example, you set Count Terrains: 2x2, so you need to reduce all settings (where possible) by half.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

But the problem with Count Terrains is that I will need to manipulate a lot of the terrain, so I am bound to run into a seem.
How can I make sure the ends of the terrain always meet up correctly after I manipulate it?

Here the problem is in the limitations of Unity Terrain Engine and not in RWT.
So you have two ways:
Increase the number of terrains or use a big brush.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Yea, I figured that it was a problem with Unity Terrain, but I was hoping that you had a solution ^^
I am now trying to build a terrain that is 10x10 counts, but even for the strong computer I have, it looks like it stalls sometimes, or is really really slow.

I also get this message, And I am unable to set the range between 8 and 1000. It defaults back to 0.

resolutionPerPatch is clamped to the range of [8, 1000].
UnityEngine.TerrainData:SetDetailResolution(Int32, Int32)
InfinityCode.RealWorldTerrain.Generators.RealWorldTerrainElevationGenerator:InitTData(RealWorldTerrainItem) (at Assets/Infinity Code/Real World Terrain/Scripts/Editor/Generators/RealWorldTerrainElevationGenerator.cs:664)
InfinityCode.RealWorldTerrain.Generators.RealWorldTerrainElevationGenerator:GenerateHeightMap(RealWorldTerrainItem) (at Assets/Infinity Code/Real World Terrain/Scripts/Editor/Generators/RealWorldTerrainElevationGenerator.cs:59)
InfinityCode.RealWorldTerrain.Phases.RealWorldTerrainGenerateHeightmapsPhase:Enter() (at Assets/Infinity Code/Real World Terrain/Scripts/Editor/Phases/RealWorldTerrainGenerateHeightmapsPhase.cs:29)
InfinityCode.RealWorldTerrain.Windows.RealWorldTerrainWindow:Update() (at Assets/Infinity Code/Real World Terrain/Scripts/Editor/Windows/RealWorldTerrainWindow.cs:396)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

Please send a screenshot of the settings that you are using now.
I'll check it out, and maybe I'll give you some optimization tips.

resolutionPerPatch does not need to be changed. Just leave it in the range of 8-32.
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/terrain … tings.html

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

19 (edited by Svein 2018-02-15 12:59:04)

Thanks, but I think it is fine now smile

But I have encountered another problem, that I dont know what to do with.

This happends when I save the project. Everything seems to be fine when I press Try Again, but as soon as I do somethng and try to save again, I get the same message.

EDIT: Turns out that there were another program that tried to access it or something. After I shut that down, it worked fine.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon Untitled.png 10.85 kb, 137 downloads since 2018-02-15