Topic: Data format for imported heightmaps?

Hi,

I am confused by the documentation about exporting/importing raw heightmap data. It says the format to be "8 bits - 3 channels", however I would expect the heightmap to have 16 bits per pixel. So how exactly do I have to encode that data?

2 (edited by Rastar 2017-04-26 11:34:03)

Re: Data format for imported heightmaps?

Maybe to give some more info on the use case: There is SRTM data with 1 arcsecond resolution available for almost the whole globe, but the default import gives only the 3 arcsecond data. So I would like to download the 30m data for the region I have imported using RWT, prepare it in the correct format and then import that data to have a better resolution for my terrain. But again, I am not completely sure how that data should be encoded. I would expect "a 1 channel, 16bits grayscale", but the docs indicate something else.

Hello.

That's a great question.
Honestly, I do not remember why we did it this way.
But now I see that this is wrong.

We'll rewrite exporting / importing raw heightmap data.
The new version will be available soon (within 1-2 days).

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

That's cool, thanks for the great support! So will be be possible to import a data set with a resolution different from the current format? In my case, the data has a better resolution of factor 3 in both x and y. Which I would probably have to interpolate using gdal to a factor of 4, after which every terrain tile would have a resolution of e.g. 513 instead of 129.

Hello.

I'm sorry for the delay.
We have already made export / import raw heightmaps, and added support for SRTM30.
But faced with an unexpected problem - automatic authorization on usgs.gov.
To download SRTM30 data this requires a key in the request cookie.
It is very inconvenient to search for this key in the network tab of the browser, and authorization for some reason does not want to work.
Actually this is the last thing that we need to do to publish a new version.

I am writing this to let you know that we have not forgotten about your problem.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Hello,

We've registered account at Earthdata as it is required.
But when we're trying to generate terrains we're getting error

Dowload error: http://service.infinity-code.com/earthdata.php?f=[area hidden url]
System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.
  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus (System.Net.WebAsyncResult result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.SetResponseData (System.Net.WebConnectionData data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Login information is correct because we're logging in with copy-pasting login information from RWT generation form.
Thank you

Hello.

I just checked the downloading of SRTM30 data, and it works well.
Please check your login / password.
Perhaps this has an extra space at the start or end.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Hello,

Maybe we need to activate some specific application from Earthdata profile settings.

Thank you.

No, you do not need to do something on Earthdata.

You can download the file manually from

https://e4ftl01.cr.usgs.gov/MODV6_Dal_D/SRTM/SRTMGL1.003/2000.02.11/

and copy it to "PROJECT FOLDER / RWT Cache / Heightmaps".
Or just use another provider of elevation data.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.