1 (edited by iko79 2017-04-07 09:42:56)

Topic: Seamless zoom or manual resolution control?

Hi,

I'm trying to create a very simple application, similar to your airplane sample. A major difference is that I have to be able to go up and down. Now I cannot figure out how I would accomplish this. The most straightforward way of course would be to move the camera up and down, but this does not work: If the camera is too close to the tileset (I need elevation, so I have to use the tileset), the texture resolution is too low and I could not find a way to change the resolution manually, in order to couple it to the camera-to-tileset distance. If the camera is high up, the borders of the tileset become visible (see attached images). Seems like I have to put the camera to a specific z-position that results in an optimal visual quality and keep it there. (To not see the borders of the tileset from this angle I already have to make it quite large.) Scaling also doesn't seem to be an option since the only parameter affecting the texture resolution seems to be the Zoom in the OnlineMaps component. However, that I also can't use since it is an integer value and thus I cannot zoom smoothly.

I cannot find a way of accomplishing what I'm trying to do and would highly appreciate some advice. Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, seems like I'm a little bit confused about what some of the settings actually do: I just realized that the "Size (in Scene)" just controls the actual size of the tileset, not its mesh tessellation resolution which would be the expected equivalent to the width/height in texture mode. My mesh always is of resolution 32x32, no matter what I enter for its size. I don't see what this is for, how is it any different from just scaling the object using the transform component? How can I adjust the mesh resolution?

Post's attachments

Attachment icon maps.jpg 180.72 kb, 72 downloads since 2017-04-06 

Re: Seamless zoom or manual resolution control?

Hello.

Unfortunately, in the current version zoom is integer. The feature of float zoom is planned for v2.6.
But you can work around this with various tricks.
Example of how to make a smooth resizing of a map for an airplane is attached.

Size (in Scene) is the size of map GameObject in the scene.
Width / Height (pixels) works like a resolution. A larger value, a better (and slower) map.

Post's attachments

Attachment icon SmoothFlyZoom.cs 1.63 kb, 156 downloads since 2017-04-07 

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Oh, the Width and Height fields do apply in Tileset mode. I misread, so I never touched them and tried around with all the other settings, sorry!

Thanks for the code, I'll try it!

Can't wait to try float zoom at v2.6!!!!