1 (edited by trinistry 2016-10-18 08:54:50)

Topic: Before I buy - can I create country scale relief maps with this?

Hello,

I'd like to create something like this: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/ger … del/719334 , basically a country scale relief mesh, preferably cut out at the border.

Is this possible with Real World Terrain, or will the resulting model end up too detailed / is country or even continent scale too big?

Screenshots and examples look really great, I hope I can use it for my purpose!

Thank you!

Re: Before I buy - can I create country scale relief maps with this?

Hello

1. Unity Terrain can only be rectangular.
So you get the result like on 1 image on your link (without borders).

2. You can choose what quality you need. Better quality - more polygons (exponentially).

3. Unity has a limit 64k vertices per model, so Real World Terrain split it into multiple models.

4. We are not trying to make an entire continent, so I do not know what will happen.
What I know for sure - when such a large size, with low quality you will not see the relief. With high quality it will have a LOT of polygons.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

So, a country should be doable on lower quality, so you can see the textured relief, for example great britain or spain or germany? I don't care too much for an entire continent.

Yes, you can do it.

Example of the generation of Switzerland.
The total generated area is about 70,000 square kilometers.
https://vimeo.com/85158937

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Sorry to bump this, but I figured it's appropriate to the originally asked question...and maybe a silly one.

When these terrains are created, are the heights all accurate to real world scale? I.e. i see that the program created Switzerland, what I want to know is...are the Mountains real world scale in meters? So is the highest point in that map actually at 4634m (Dufourspitze)? The width/length of the terrain actually 264,000m (264km)? I only ask because I'm interested in flight sim creation and don't really want to have to attempt to scale unity's physics.

Hope that all makes sense! It wasn't really clear in the video the dimensions of the terrains.

V/R

Brad McKinstry

Real World Terrain creates terrains with a pretty high accuracy in real size (1 unity world point = 1 meter).
Of course this has an error in data, floating-point calculations, etc.
But the maximum error is not more than 10-20 meters.
So you'll get the highest point between 4625-4645 meters.

BradMick wrote:

The width/length of the terrain actually 264,000m (264km)?

Unfortunately, I did not understand this question.
If you ask about some part of the video, where did you get these numbers?
If you talk about your area, which you want to create, why this is question?

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

sorry, the width/length came from the square of the area 70,000km2...which...I guess answers the question. I was just trying to confirm that when I generate a terrain, it would physically be roughly 264km wide by 264 km tall (or 264,000m). Switzerland is like...220 x 350km or so according to google, so...so long as that's valid then all is well.

And I was asking because there were no numbers in the video. I can get around floating point precision errors with floating origin techniques, so that's no biggie. Hope that makes more sense what I was asking.

V/R

Brad

On the video selects a rectangular area that contains all of Switzerland + parts of France, Italy, Austria and Germany.
Area of Switzerland is 41285 km².
Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland

The selected area is 108388.84 km².
The current version of RWT Helper shows this value.
On the video showed an approximate value that was not calculated correctly.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.