Topic: Elevation & Buildings

Hi,

Thanks for such an amazing asset. I have built a scene with online maps including bing and osm data(buildings). It's working fine on my computer and in some of my colleges' pcS. However, some of them cannot see the topography and the buildings. They just see a flat surface, unfortunately. All of them are from the same country (not from Russia) and it's not related to VPN. Last, all of them have Win10 O.S.

Re: Elevation & Buildings

Hello.

The problem with buildings for Russian users is solved by using another (unblocked) server.

Let's talk a little about your problem:
The application works correctly on some computers, so most likely the problem is not on your side.
Buildings or elevations may not be displayed if for some reason Online Maps cannot download data.
Buildings and elevations use data from different sources, and users have problems downloading data from both sources.
When this can happen: only with problems with Internet access on these PCs.
There are many things that can cause such problems, for example a firewall.

So you need to check what causes problems with Internet access on these specific PCs.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Thank you for your quick response. I have tried to add an exception for my software in Firewall. Beside, I have also tried to disable antivirus and windows defender temporarily. Last, run the software as admin, but all of these didn’t work. Btw, the map is being showed on start (without topography and buildings), besides google search api is working, however when it goes to searched location, even the map data is also not visible. Moreover, there are other web based scenes which requires internet connection, however all of them are working. Could you please advice me further? Thank you again.

In the first post you mentioned that PCs are in college.
With a very high probability, the college has a firewall on its side (not on the user's PC), which strongly filters requests.

Use OnlineMapsWWW.OnInit to intercept all requests and show it in the log.
Next, find requests for downloading elevations and buildings.
Copy it and try to open it with a browser. Most likely this will not work.

If so, you will need to change the data sources.
For elevations, try using ArcGIS Elevation API.
For OSM you need to change the server.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ove … _instances
You can do this in two ways:
1. Modify the request using OnlineMapsWWW.OnInit.
2. Modify URL in the class OnlineMapsOSMAPIQuery.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Boost your productivity a lot and immediately using Ultimate Editor Enhancer. Trial and non-commerce versions available.

Thank you again. With "colleges", I just meant my friends, not a college.

I have tried two computers both of them connected on the same network (not a public one), one of them (desktop PC) shows the topography and the elevation, however the other one (notebook) not. Both of them has up to date operating system (win10). I have really tried everything on the network side. Do you think this may be related to netframework or graphics card?

No, most likely it is not related to a netframework or graphics card.

Let's look at all the places where the problem could be:
1. Before OS: Internet provider, router and other network equipment. The probability of about 10%.
This is quite a rare case, but it can still be.
For example, OSM Overpass API (main server) is blocked in Russia.
2. OS and applications (for example, antivirus and firewall).
The probability of about 75%.
Win10 is a repository of unusual things that shouldn't happen, but happen.
I have many examples of this, and most likely you also have them.
3. Unity. The probability of about 5%.
4. Online Maps. The probability of about 10%.
5. Third-party scripts. Probability is unknown, because you did not write about them.
But theoretically it is possible.

How to check where the problem is.
URL:

https://overpass.kumi.systems/api/interpreter?data=node(41.9418%2c12.07767%2c41.94997%2c12.08866)%3bway(bn)%5b%27highway%27~%27primary%7cresidential%27%5d%3b(._%3b%3e%3b)%3bout%3b

1. Open URL in the browser.
If it works, then this is not a problem 1.
2. Open URL using the application made in Unity.
https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReferenc … quest.html
If it works, then this is not a problem 2 and 3.
3. Subscribe to OnlineMapsBuildings.OnRequestSent, and when this is called, subscribe to OnlineMapsBuildings.osmRequest.OnComplete to check what you have in response.
If you have the correct response, but it does not work, send me a screenshot of Online Maps (Script) and Online Maps Buildings (Script).

Most likely here is one cause of the problem with elevations and buildings.
So finding and fixing the first problem, you fix the second.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

7 (edited by mimarilker 2019-03-24 11:51:14)

We eventually found the problem. It's related to OS's language. Users who have non-English (in my case Turkish) OS, couldn't get elevation and bing data. I have seen that there're some parts which may result in this problem in "OnlineMapsBingMapsElevation.cs".

result.Append("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789_-"[(int)rem]);

When we change the OS language to EN, the problem disaappears. Do you have any advice? Bcs, we cannot tell the user to change their OS language.

This is CultureInfo problem in dotNet4.x.
For example: (4.5f).ToString() - may be "4.5" or "4,5" depending on the region.
This problem has been fixed in v2.5.51 and v3.0.0.31 beta.
What version of Online Maps do you use?

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

Thanks for your reply. I am using an older version and very afraid of upgrading it. Is it possible to update partially? Could you tell me the changed scripts for this fix? Then I will only upgrade them. Bcs when I tried to upgrade it before, there were too many errors.

To fix this problem, you need to modify VERY MUCH things in the scripts.
So here I just can't say something like: modify that variable / line / method.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

11 (edited by mimarilker 2019-03-24 13:51:16)

Thank you, I am a bit confused, should I go with beta v3.0.0.31? Or a version newer than 2.5.51 will be ok?

No, you do not need to update to Online Maps v3 right now.
Online Maps v2.x will be maintained at least until the end of 2019.
So you can simply update to Online Maps v2.5.52 (the latest version 2.x).
This will not require you to make any changes to the project.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.

I have upgraded from 2.5.37 to v2.5.7.1 which I have as an older version in my repositories. First, I opened a new scene, then removed the older version. Last, imported the newer one. However, this version also didn't solve the language problem. So, I think I have to go ahead with v3. Any idea?

Have you updated from 2.5.37 to v2.5.7?
Why update to the old version should fix the problem?
I wrote about 2.5.52.

Kind Regards,
Infinity Code Team.